Friday, March 9, 2018

Windows and Hyper-V Installation - Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations On-Premise at Home - 01

Previous Post: Setting up Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations- on-premise...at home!

Setting up the Server

The server arrived, it is time to get rolling!  I first jumped into the BIOS.  It is easier and better to configure things before the operating system is installed.  First, I set up four SAS 300GB 10k drives in a RAID 5.  RAID 6 has better redundancy yet I do not have the hard drives to support it.  I enabled virtualization technology and execution prevention in the BIOS.  HP servers come with Integrated Lights Out (ILO) so I configured the IP address and admin user.



Installing Windows Server 2016-  I first downloaded Datacenter edition using my MSDN subscription- Automatic Virtual Machine Activation” (AVMA) should automatically activate the virtual machines it hosts.  I created a bootable USB drive using the free Rufus tool.  The installation was straightforward.  Once Windows Server 2016 was installed, I went straight to windows updates, which had to run several times until all of the cumulative updates installed correctly.  Then I renamed the computer and I made note of the MAC address so I could set up a static DHCP entry in my router.

Installing Hyper-V

  1. Open Server Manager
  2. Click Local Server
  3. Click Manage > Add Roles and Features
  4. Next
  5. Role-Based
  6. Select the current server
  7. Check mark "Hyper-V," click ok when it asks to add the management tools
  8. Next
  9. Next
  10. Finish
  11. Reboot

Stay tuned for iSCSI setup then Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations, Enterprise Edition on-premise installation....

No comments:

Post a Comment